Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Husband

I know I always brag and gloat on my husband, as does many other woman. Throughout this journey I have come to realize that it takes a very special man to endure this trying time. I would like to tell you the story of my husband Al and how we fell in love:

I met Al when I was 33 almost 34. I was at the point in my life that I was literally done with men. No I wasnt thinking about switching sides I was just done. My best friend Julie discussed with me one day that we join either roller derby or womans ice hockey. Well I remember roller skating when I was young, isnt it just like riding a bike? We show up to practice our first time and meet all of the "catty bitches" seriously. I knew from the get go this wasnt my cup of tea. I didnt want to let my best friend down so I stuck with it. About a week into practice we met Al. He was a ref for the team and actually drove an hour and half one a week after work to ref for this team. He seemed really nice and down to earth, unlike almost everyone else on the team. Ok I wont lie, I never in a million years thought he was my type. Him and my best friend started IM'ing and becoming friends. She asked me to add him to my messenger and I did. We started talking about everything and found we talked everynight after work until later in the evening. Julie said to me one day that Al would be a good guy for me and I was like nope I am done. We talked more and more and hung out at practice. One night Julie and her boyfriend were going to hiabichi and said that Al and I should go. I didnt consider it a date and I even paid for my own meal. We all had a great time and after dinner Al and I decided to go out for a few drinks. I wont lie I ended up with way more then a few drinks.

THIS IS THE PART OF MY BLOG WHERE I PROMISED TO BE 100% HONEST AND  I AM. YOU MAY WANT TO TURN BACK NOW.

Ok this will reflect badly on me but it is the truth. After drinks, Cierra was spending the night with a friend and I was drunk. One thing led to another and we totally slept together. After it was a done deal, I had alot of reservations about what took place and pretty well thought we wouldnt talk again. I was wrong. We picked up talking and spending time together for many months after that. I still wasnt thinking about a relationship but was really enjoying having company. One night he asked me if we were exclusive or if I would consider being exclusive with him. I had to think about this, LOL yes I really did. I didnt want a relationship and drama and most likely the failure of another relationship. I did say yes.  Fast forward a year later Al asked me to marry him and of course I said yes. We moved in together about 2 months before we got married. Get this, he didnt believe in someone living together before marriage but (please see first and second sentence of this paragraph) Uh huh.

Meeting and marrying Al was the best decision I have ever made. I could never ask for a better more loving, caring, compassionate, funny person. I am truly blessed to have this man in my life. The only regret I have is we didnt meet earlier in our lives. Maybe we would have had a real shot at a baby.

With this story I want to leave you with a picture of Al and my niece Briley back when we were dating. I think this picture says everything about him.


No comments:

Post a Comment