Thursday, October 18, 2012

PCP Appointment UPDATED

I was finally able to get in to see my pcp after I had to reschedule due to our ectopic. I went in today and this was a new doctor. I explained all the years of anxiety and panic I have experienced. It seems like a life time that has be stolen away from me to be honest. My first massive panic attack was when I was 19 and had to be rushed to the hospital. One of the scariest moments of my life. All these years later and I still find myself in awkward situations that no one understands. You know the days you get out of bed so dizzy and lightheaded and your chest is hurting, you are always short of breath? You sit there and tell yourself that everything will be okay, that you aren't dying. You know this but yet your body and mind don't get it. I really am tired of living like this. For some reason when we went through fertility treatments, my anxiety let up a bunch. It could be because I was completely focused on other things. I don't know...... I do know that it is a back with a vengeance. Luckily my RE gave me a prescription for Ativan and Zofran while I was in the hospital for my ectopic. It has held me over till today's visit. Okay so back to my visit. We talked about the medications which I have used in the past. Mainly it consisted of Prozac along with either Xananx or Ativan.She also wanted to check my thyroid? I guess if you having thyroid issues, it can effect anxiety? Didn't know anything about that either. After talking about all the options, we decided on Paxil. Here is description of medication:

 Paroxetine tablets, suspension (liquid), and extended-release (long-acting) tablets are used to treat depression, panic disorder (sudden, unexpected attacks of extreme fear and worry about these attacks), and social anxiety disorder (extreme fear of interacting with others or performing in front of others that interferes with normal life). Paroxetine tablets and suspension are also used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (bothersome thoughts that won't go away and the need to perform certain actions over and over), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD; excessive worrying that is difficult to control), and post-traumatic stress disorder (disturbing psychological symptoms that develop after a frightening experience). Paroxetine extended-release tablets are also used to treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD, physical and psychological symptoms that occur before the onset of the menstrual period each month). Paroxetine is in a class of medications called selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.

I guess that Paxil deals more with the panic and anxiety verses Prozac is more depression. I am a little nervous to start this medication. It is a category D which is absolute NO NO with pregnancy. It is kinda laughable including its close to three years and no accidents have happened. Doubtful it will now. She also put me on Ativan in conjunction. She wants me to start seeing my psychiatrist so we can all be on board about medications. For any of you who aren't familar with the difference; psychiatrist now just help with medications and psychologist is the one who does all the talky feelings crap. Sorry I have had absolutely NO luck with either in my experiences.

 So to wrap this up, I am curious if any of my followers have been on Paxil before? I know there is quite a few of us in this community that suffer from anxiety and panic disorders. I would love to hear any feed back from you guys.


UPDATE: I talked to my RE's office later today and told them about the Paxil. It is a class D drug and none of us felt comfortable with that including we are still actively trying to get pregnant. I am waiting on a call back with other suggestions. Looks like I might be going back to prozac again.

No comments:

Post a Comment