Sunday, December 8, 2013

Risk taker?

I am not sure about others, but I have always lived my life taking risks. Not sure if it is just part of my personality or I just don't want to look back on something in my life and regret not doing it. I really don't know the reason, but I have never been " lets play it safe" on anything that has come my direction.
With that being said, I had my Cd9 u/s this morning.

Even stopping the FSH two days ago my ovaries are still fighting full speed ahead. As of this morning I have (5) follicles that will be ready to trigger on Tuesday and (5) that are a half of second behind them. My RE suggested that we call this cycle to play it safe. She also gave me the option of waiting until Tuesday and going in for one last u/s in a last ditch effort hoping a few of the follies will stop growing. After the u/s we spent a while talking about the options and the recommendations of the clinic. I have had (6) mature follicles along with iui in past and no pregnancy. I've also had (6) miscarriages. So this makes the decision at hand a very hard one that Al and I won't take lightly. Dr. C said if we had never been pregnant in the last four years of treatment with them, they wouldn't be as hesitant and may consider going forward, but because I do get pregnant she doesn't think we should keep going. My argument is, according to my clinic I have bad egg quality so I do need a lot more verses the woman who doesn't have egg issues and hope that there is one good one in the bunch. In four years of treatment, which includes ALOT of treatment, Al and I still aren't pregnant.  I do understand the risk of multiples and not just twin multiples, more like quad multiples and I won't lie, that is something I don't want. I also know that there is a good chance that only one or two would take. And I also know that there is chance none will take.

It is a gamble and now I have to decide how high risk I am willing to go. I do know that at this point Al and I are NOT ready to take a chance if ten+ follicles are mature Tuesday. I am hoping we have 8 or less. 

I know this decision opens up a lot of disagreement and judgement so if you don't have anything supportive and helpful to say, your comment will not be posted. I have to much on my plate right now to deal with those people. 

Any of you ever been in this situation? I would love to hear some feedback.

Until Tuesday..... Lots to think about.


  1. I say follow your what feels right for you both.

  2. I've never been in that situation, because I've never done injectables for anything other than IVF. However, I would not be able to resist just going for it. It's definitely a personal choice. I just wouldn't be able to resist having intercourse at home at least if they cancelled my IUI. There is always the Jon + Kate risk looming of course. Just gotta make the choice right for you! Hoping for a more reasonable ultrasound for you on Tues!

  3. You have to do what is best for you friend. And ya, they sent Kate home and told her not to have sex because she was overstimulated for her IUI. That would be crazy!

  4. I also have multiple miscarriages under my belt with egg quality issues. I would approach it as a game of odds: First, what are the odds that all 10 are mature and would fertilize? Remember, you are just looking at an ultrasound and the doctors are making their best educated guess. Your E2 level is the best indicator. Allow a level of 200 for every mature follicle. Second, of the eggs fertilized, how many would actually implant? Third, of the implanted embryos, how many would actually continue to develop and lead to a successful pregnancy in someone with a history of miscarriage and egg quality issues?

    I don't have personal experience playing these actual odds but I did do an IUI with 7 follicles which lead to a BFN. I can tell you that if I were left with this choice, I wouldn't waste all those follicles. I would go for it and deal with the aftermath. But then, I am also not religious and feel strongly FOR selective reduction to make a safer and healthier pregnancy. Finally, I hate "what ifs".

    Good luck with whatever you decide!

    1. First of all, thank you for the great points you made. I can say that I agree with everything that you mentioned above and the information was so helpful :)

  5. Such a tough decision, and really only one you can make. I'd have a really hard time giving up the follies, but I'd also want to be cautious of having a high multiples pregnancy. Selective reduction would be super hard for me. What if I chose the wrong ones? What if I kept the one(s) with chromosomal issues and terminated the healthy one(s)? But then again, maybe you only had one or two successful implantations. But.....what if you had 4 or 5? I'm not much help, but giving you things to consider.

  6. Thanks for the feedback ladies. Hoping for some good news tomorrow. Keep me in your thoughts and lets hope for about 8 follies verses 10+